Thursday, August 16, 2012

The QUEST for the perfect low-carb protein bar...



In the name of full disclosure, let me start by giving the disclaimer that these bars were sent to me by Quest Nutrition to try out and review.  I do not work for them, nor am I sponsored by them in any way.  The thoughts and statements contained in this post are accurate, thoughtful and honest.  My opinions in my reviews are in no way swayed by being given free product.  With all that being said, HERE WE GO!


Something you should know before I tell you about these bars is that I have never liked any protein bar that I have ever tried.  They all had the same strange cardboard taste and awkward mouth feel. I had tried so many different brands thinking that there had to be one I would eventually like.  I kept trying them, kept not liking them, kept buying them.  Don't get me wrong, I would totally eat them in a survival situation but only because my need for preservation of life would be stronger than my distaste of cardboard.  I did not think that Quest bars would be any different than all of these other countless bars I had tried.  BOY WAS I SORELY MISTAKEN!!!  Each one I ate, I liked more and more.  My favorite so far is Peanut Butter and Jelly and Chocolate Brownie.  No joke, I felt like I was eating an actual brownie.  The snozzberries, taste like snozzberries!!



Are all protein bars created equal??  They are definitely not!!

I did a side by side comparison of the nutritional profile of similar flavored bars on the market.  This little experiment proved to be even more information than I thought it would be.  The very first thing that I noticed is that I was actually able to recognize and pronounce every ingredient in the Quest bar. I cannot say the same about the rest of the bars.  Here are just a few of the things that set Quest apart from the rest of the pack.


No Added Sugar
No Artificial Sweeteners
No Soy Protein
No Glycerine
No Junk Ingredients
Gluten Free      

So, what's in them you ask??  Well let me just show you...

Quest Bar - Chocolate Peanut Butter
Ingredients - Protein Blend (Whey Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides (100% Natural Prebiotic Fiber derived from plant sources), Peanut Butter, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Lo Han Gua, Stevia

ZonePerfect - Chocolate Peanut Butter
Soy Protein Nuggets (Isolated Soy Protein, Tapioca Starch, Salt), Peanut Butter Fudge (Corn Syrup, Peanut Butter, Invert Sugar, Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein, Soy Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Carob Seed Gum, Salt, Natural Caramel Color, Beta-Carotene, Vanilla Extract, Peanut Oil with Other Natural Flavors), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Nonfat Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla Flavor), Corn Syrup, Acacia Gum, Fructose Syrup, Peanut Butter, Peanut Flour, Peanuts.
Less than 2% of the Following: Glycerine, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavor, Salt.
Vitamins & Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Fumarate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, and Cyanocobalamin.
Contains milk, peanut and soy ingredients. Manufactured in a facility that processes eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and wheat.

Atkins Advantage - Chocolate Peanut Butter
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Sodium Caseinate), Glycerin, Polydextrose, Peanuts, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Palm Kernel Oil and Palm Oil, Water, Peanut Butter (Ground, Roasted Peanuts), Cellulose, Cocoa Powder (processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Vitamin Mineral Mix (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Ascorbate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Niacinamide, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Chromium Chelate, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite), Olive Oil, Clarified Butter, Soy Lecithin, Guar Gum, Salt, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Sucralose, Mono and Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium.

South Beach Diet - Chocolate Peanut Butter
Soy Protein Isolate (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Salt) , Maltitol Syrup, Peanut(s) Butter(Peanut(s) Ground Roasted) , Inulin (Fiber) , Palm Kernel Oil Fractionated, Glycerine, Maltitol,Oligofructose (Fiber) , Contains less than 22% of Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Milk Protein Isolate,Milk Non-Fat, Milk Protein Concentrate, Chocolate, Cocoa, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Peanut(s) Oil, Soy Lecithin, Butter (Cream, Salt) , Cream Heavy, Salt, Monoglyceride, Carrageenan,Caramel Color, Sucralose, Vitamins And Minerals :, Beta Carotene, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) ,Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Phosphate, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron) , Folic Acid (Vitamin aB), Niacinamide (Vitamin aB), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) (Vitamin B2) , Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1) (Vitamin B1) , Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E Acetate, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1) ,Potassium Stearate

Starting to notice a pattern here???  
I couldn't even tell you what half of the ingredients in the ZonePerfect, Atkins, and South Beach bars are.  I'm not comfortable with that.  I can take comfort in eating a Quest bar, knowing that it is low-carb and that I know exactly what I am putting into my body.  The added bonus is that they are absolutely delicious.  I would not put my name or reputation behind any product that I did not truly believe in.  I love these bars and I truly believe them to be a superior product.  I have been eating them almost daily after my workouts.  My gym started carrying them...  UH OH!!




So what does this mean for you????  A GIVEAWAY!!!!!
The fine folks at Quest Nutrition sent me some bars to pass on to you!!  Here is what you need to do to win....

Leave a comment on this blog post telling me which flavor you would like to try - CLICK HERE to view the flavors.

"Like" Quest Nutrition on Facebook - Tell them Peace, Love, and Low Carb sent you - CLICK HERE to go to their Facebook page.

"Like" Peace, Love, and Low Carb on Facebook - CLICK HERE to go to my facebook page.

From there, Comment on and share the giveaway post from my facebook page.  It will be pinned to the top.  A winner will randomly be chosen from the comments.  Please be sure to "like" Quest on facebook and share the post to qualify... THANKS and GOOD LUCK!!!






55 comments:

  1. I am DYING to try these! I started low-carb back in May and sometimes I have to have something portable and quick. Chocolate peanut butter, chocolate brownie, and the PB&J all look very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "liked" Quest and posted that you sent me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate peanut butter and chocolate brownie look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate PB, Cinnamon Roll, Mixed Berry Bliss, PB&J. Something tells me the first two I listed are the BOMBDIGGITY :) I seriously cannot find these within a 50 mile radius of where I live, and have been dying to try them - so thanks for the chance to enter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Quest Bars..............I buy a whole box at atime. I love the Strawberry Cheesecake the best..............

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really really want to try these!! Chocolate peanut butter sounds amazing!!
    countrycookinmama at gmail dot com {Kim Hilder}

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chocolate peanut butter for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try strawberry cheesecake :D

    eclairre(at)ymail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate pb and the chocolate brownie!! I've been wanting to try these for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try chocolate brownie and strawberry cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PB&J or strawberry cheesecake!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to try the lemon bar! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just tried the Vanilla Almond Cruch, it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to try cinnamon roll or apple pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked both pages and I absolutely love these bars! My fav is cinnamon roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to try peanut butter supreme and the peanut butter jelly! I also went and liked their FB page and of course I am already a big fan of yours!! Keep up the good work and good luck with your cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried the Quest Bars before & would really like to. The Coconut Cashew & the Vanilla Almond Crunch sound soooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would love to try Coconut&Cashew and Chocolate Brownie.

    Already like you and will like Quest shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Put me into the give away! I would love the try the Chocolate Brownie or the Strawberry Cheesecake. I am looking for a protein bar and want one with the least amount of ingredients and no weird sugar subs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Strawberry Cheesecake sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Liked and commented on Quest Nutrition FB page

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love them all, pick me, pick me! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG! I seriously love alllllll the flavors!! I've left reviews on any website I can find where I can review them because they are totally awesome!! The best protein bars around!! I love the fiber content too!! I can't wait for them to come out with some more flavors so that I can fall in love with them as well!! =) So, here's the list by order of 'LOVE'... 1) Cinnamon Roll, 2) Coconut Cashew, 3) Apple Pie, 4) Peanut Butter & Jelly, 5) Peanut Butter Supreme, 6) Strawberry Cheesecake (it has real strawberries!!), 7) Mixed Berry Bliss, 8) Chocolate Brownie, 8) Chocolate Peanut Butter, 9) Vanilla Almond Crunch, 10) Lemon Cream Pie.... Thanks for the opportunity to win some!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I had to pick only one, it would have to be the strawberry cheesecake :) love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Peanut butter lovers like me have a difficult choice, but I'll go for Peanut Butter Supreme! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. sshhhhhh my mother-in-law works for ZonePerfect :O

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chocolate Brownie - that's what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definitely the peanut butter and chocolate one! Anything chocolate and peanut butter is my biggest temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love these bars! I purchased the sample box plus a PB&J one from Quest and was skeptical at first but they far exceeded my expectations! Microwave them for about 20-30 seconds and they taste like a fresh baked cookie!!

    Since I've tried them, I don't want to be entered in the giveaway. I hope whoever wins will enjoy these bars...I certainly did. I wish they were carried at more stores since the closest to me is about 20 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been really wanting to try that Strawberry Cheesecake one sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. They all sound yummy but I would love to try the chocolate pb. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sick of the fact we can't get anything good in the UK. Just searched these and it would cost me £35 for 12 that is $55

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been wanting to try these for a long time any flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm torn between the Apple Pie and the PB &J!! Wish these were easy to find in the stores...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Strawberry Cheesecake would be my first pick!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Liked Quest Nutrition FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Already like Peach, Love, and Low Carb on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  38. they all sound amazing, but the chocolate peanut butter sounds FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You had me @ GLUTEN FREE!!! Love the fact that I can understand all the ingredients!! Can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing!! PB&J all the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. All of the flavors sound incredible! I want to try the cinnamon roll most of all, though. Thanks for the great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I liked Quest on facebook and commented on their page

    ReplyDelete
  42. I liked you on facebook and shared the post!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You blog helps me out a ton! I Think these these bars sound Amaz. EspecIallt he chocolate brownie or anything pb!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I LOVE Quest bars. I would probably choose the peanut butter or the peanut butter chocolate.

    happy_haylee_3(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Liked them on FB and told them you sent me! :)

    happy_haylee_3(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete