Portobello Cordon Bleu with Dijon Cream Sauce
This recipe turned out even better than I anticipated. My husband loved it and said that it was even better for lunch the next day. My immediate thought upon tasting this was that if I slapped a poached egg on it, it would be an amazing breakfast dish. I will definitely be trying that next time. It may seem like there are a lot of steps to this recipe but I assure you it is easy to follow and the taste is worth it. Enjoy!!
INGREDIENTS
6 Large Portobello Mushrooms
8 oz. Sliced Ham
6 Slices Swiss Cheese - 6oz.
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese - Grated
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese - Grated
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
2 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbs. Garlic - Minced
2 Tbs. Panko
2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley - Chopped
2 Tbs. Butter
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
(2 Tbs. Peace and Love)
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 *
Remove the stems from mushroom caps and slice a thin layer off of the top of the mushroom cap to allow it to sit flat. (Keep these pieces)
Brush mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes.
Chop the mushroom stem and cap pieces that were trimmed in the first step. Saute over medium heat in butter, and garlic - 5 minutes
Add parsley, chicken stock and heavy cream. Allow to come to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low. Add parmesan and dijon to sauce. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally and allow sauce to thicken.
Pull mushrooms from oven. Fill caps with sauce, layer on cheese, ham, cheese, ham. Top with another dollop of sauce and a thin layer of panko on top of the sauce.
Bake for 7 minutes more on 400* Then broil for 2-3 minutes to allow panko to crisp.
Serve and Enjoy!
Makes 6 Servings - 5 Net carbs per serving
Peace, Love, and Portobellos
Is there anything that can be subbed for the heavy cream? That stuff just kills me :(
ReplyDeleteYou could always use half and half or milk but it will increase the carb count and then you will also need a thickening agent.
ReplyDeleteOH. . . that's just the most beautiful thing I've seen all day.
ReplyDeleteCould you use a cup of fat free greek yogurt? I'm not sure what else you would need to change. Maybe 3/4 of yogurt and 1/4 water? I think the carb count is even lower than for cream.
ReplyDeleteI just made this last night and it was AMAZING!! Definitely a keeper. Easy fast delicious and low carb!
ReplyDeleteThis was a big hit! I added a little bit of nutmeg to the sauce (always do when cooking mushrooms), and added another slice of swiss before the top layer of sauce, but otherwise the recipe was perfect. Buy the biggest portobellos you can find - you'll want to stuff as much in as possible!
ReplyDeleteThis was really delicious and surprisingly easy to make! Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDelete